Shakugan No ShanaMarch 23, 2009 at 6:37 AM | Posted in Anime | Leave a comment
Shakugan no Shana (灼眼のシャナ , lit. Shana of the Burning Eyes), also known simply as Shana, is a series of Japanese light novels and related media works written by Japanese novelist Yashichiro Takahashi and illustrated by Noizi Ito centering around Yuji Sakai, an ordinary Japanese high school boy who inadvertently becomes involved in a perpetual war between forces of balance and imbalance in existence. In the process, he befriends the title character: a fighter for the balancing force, whom he takes to calling “Shana”. The series incorporates science fiction, fantasy, and slice-of-life “school days” elements into its tale.
Sakai Yuuji thought his normal days would last forever, until they were ended abruptly by an encounter with a girl with red hair and eyes. He named her Shana.
Not long after he enters high school, Sakai Yuuji’s normal days come to an end. He sees something bizarre on his way home: people are frozen in a strange fire, and a monster that looks like a large doll is attacking them. Just when he’s about to be killed, a girl in a dark cloak wielding a large sword appears, and slices the monster in half. Although Yuji survives the strange encounter, the girl informs him of a desolate truth: “You don’t ‘exist’ anymore.”
She calls herself a Flame Haze who hunts “Guze no Tomogara”; intruders from another world. She explains to him that he is a “Torch”, a substitute of Yuji whose “existence” has already been devoured. She also told him that he is a special Torch, “Mystis”, which contains a precious item in it. When he looks at his chest, he sees within himself a faint flame, just as she said.
At first, this anime just like action only but until i watch it,shakugan no shana has many elements just like love triangle,school life,comedy,etc. This anime was interesting for boys and girls,the action is not bad too. Thos anime has a good story,of course because thi is from light novel adaptation. On the Next Post i’ll posted about Shakugan No Shana Second.
Character List(This is for Shakugan No Shana Second too):
- (坂井悠二 Sakai Yūji) (Mystes) Voiced by: Satoshi Hino (Japanese), Kristian Ayre (English)
- Yuji, the main character of the story, is just an average high school student. However, his world is turned upside down when he discovers that he is already dead and does not have much time before he disappears. Fortunately, Yuji is a Mystes who contains a treasure known as the Reiji Maigo (零時迷子 , “Midnight Stray Child”). Unlike normal torches, the treasure inside him restores his Power of Existence every night at midnight.
- With the Reiji Maigo, Yuji has the possibility to live on like an average human as long as he makes sure that his Power of Existence does not run out before midnight. Due to Reiji Maigo, no one is sure if Yuji will age like a regular human or be immortal as he is. Since Reiji Maigo restores his power of existence, Yuji is training to use that power in the hopes of fighting alongside Shana. In the second season of the anime, it is mentioned than Yuji’s power of existence can rival that of a Lord of the Crimson Realm, in terms of quantity.
- Even when Yuji was ignorant of the fact that he possessed the Reiji Maigo in the first episodes of the first season of Shakugan no Shana, Yuji develops a somewhat optimistic, yet ultimately fatalistic view of his life. Even when he believed he was slated to perish as a Torch, Yuji took the information in a stride after the initial shock, and did not seem too disturbed or melancholy with the idea that everyone would simply forget about him, accepting this. Rather, his acts of heroism, demonstrated often in the series, is justified by his belief that even if his existence would one day disappear, his sacrifice would be proof that he had once lived.
- Although Yuji lacks of the training and discipline of a Flame Haze, he has demonstrated an admirable amount of intelligence and logic, often thinking outside the box and solving puzzles others can’t (though it still stands for a fact that he is totally clueless to the fact that Shana loves him and is often jealous of any girls who get too close to him). While many Flame Hazes and Lords of the Crimson Realm would be deceived or confused by unconventional casting of magic, Yuji is able to quickly deduce and see through the ploy despite his unfamiliarity with many magical spells, enabling his allies, generally Shana, to strike at the heart of their opposition. Furthermore, by the start of the second season, Yuji’s training has enabled him to foresee as well as dodge a good majority of attacks from skilled Flame Hazes such as Shana and Wilhelmina, and he has gained the ability to cast Power of Unrestraint. He also has the ability to wield Blutsauger and infusing it with some of his own power. He also can create his own fire, which is silver in color, to fire at targets.
- Locked inside the Treasure are two entities. One is Johan, the lover of Pheles who created the Treasure. The other is “The Snake of the Festival” (祭礼の蛇 Sairei no Hebi), the Crimson Lord with the black flame and silver shadow who is one of the true gods of the Crimson World and is the founder/true leader of the Bal Masque. He is later reborn and merged with Yuji, whom he honored by telling his subordinates to refer to him as “Sairei no Hebi” Yuji Sakai (「祭礼の蛇」坂井悠二 “Sairei no Hebi” Sakai Yuji), unlike other Lords who used mythological names of angels, gods or demons. When Yuji first activates the Fuzetsu on his own, the presence of the silver flames indicates an omen to The Snake of the Festival’s return into the world, for the silver flames were a tool created by the “God of Creation” (創造神 Sōzōshin) himself to collect necessary elements in his revival. Later, Pheles’ second attempt to free Johan causes the Bal Masque’s god to awaken.
- Yuji is a kind person who puts others before himself. This often draws much confusion and annoyance from Shana, as prior torches from Shana’s experience exhibited selfish attitudes. Simultaneously, Yuji’s compassion and empathy sow the seeds of attraction between him and Shana.
- Upon Chigusa’s pregnancy, it was revealed by Kantaro that Yuji actually had a twin brother who died at birth. Thus, in memory of the first baby and from the parents’ wish, the second baby was given the name Yuji, which means “Second (child) who shall live long “.
- By the end of the second season of the anime and in the sixteenth light novel, it is revealed that Yuji chose Shana over Kazumi. So, in conclusion of this in the sixteenth novel, he accepted the direct proposal to merge from the Snake himself within Yuji’s own will. Later, employing his new powers which exceed even that of a Lord class, Yuji defeats Shana and kidnaps her away to the Seireiden.
- (シャナ ) / “Flame-Haired Burning-Eyed Hunter” (「炎髪灼眼の討ち手」 “Enpatsu Shakugan no Uchite”) (Flame Haze)
- Voiced by: Rie Kugimiya (Japanese), Tabitha St. Germain (English)
- Shana is the female lead of the show and a Flame Haze. She was formerly human (but as stated in the novels and manga, that once a human makes a contract with a crimson lord, they become a Flame Haze and live forever). Initially she is concentrated solely on her duty as a Flame Haze, going as far as to not bearing even a name. She sees Yuji only as a Torch, an object, marginally interesting because of his status as a Mystes. Yuji, in his need to humanize her, chose to name her “Shana” after her katana. However, she slowly opens up to Yuji, coming to think of him as a person, despite being a Torch, and eventually comes to love him. Until she met Yuji, she was identified by only her Flame Haze title “Flame-Haired Burning-Eyed Hunter,” or her katana, Nietono Shana (贄殿遮那 , “Vairocana of the Offering Room”). Shana has a habit of saying “Urusai! Urusai! Urusai!” (“Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!”) whenever Yuji asks her questions or makes remarks that disturb her original worldview or embarrass her. But in reality they really care for each other. She has a great fondness for sweets, especially melon bread. Shana is shown to be highly intelligent in the series, she has gotten a perfect score on every exam and is talented in Phys. Ed. She is shown, however, to be naive when it comes to social affairs, once even unabashfully asking “how babies are made”.
- Shana is clearly a powerful and talented Flame Haze, known and feared by most Tomogara by title alone. This has allowed her to defeat many powerful Tomogara along the plot, and permits her many different abilities, including her proficiency with the Nietono Shana, the ability to wield flame, manipulate the power of existence, harbor extrasensory traits, and fly with wings of flame. In the third volume of the manga, the first volume of the visual novel, and the movie, Alastor states that the reason why she did not explode after being shot by Friagne’s Trigger Happy was because she held a capacity that existed in dimensional space, who was able to contain the Flame of Heaven’s and has thus stated her as “The Great One”. Her duty initially made her indifferent towards human life, but through Yuji’s influence, Shana has opened up slightly, although she still remains confused and disgruntled by some human traits which she considers as pointless, although some of it is used to mask her jealousy of her desired monopoly on Yuji.
- Despite being the title character of the anime, Shana has few character relations with many of the characters in the show. Her main social interest is Yuji, whom she sees as her love interest, although she never admits it (except once at the end of season one). Her relationship with Yuji is one of the driving forces of the series. Shana takes orders and advice from the Crimson Lord she is bond to, Alastor, and has a mentor and guardian in the form of Wilhelmina Carmel. Kazumi Yoshida is her love-rival for Yuji, and Shana treats her with contempt and disdain. She generally treats most other characters with ignorance and indifference, with the exception of Chigusa Sakai, who she looks to as a source in answering certain difficulties when Alastor or Wilhelmina are unable to do so. Shana eventually starts to be more open to the other characters, especially in regards to her relationship with Kazumi becoming more friendly.
- In volume sixteen of the light novels, Shana is defeated by Yuji and currently kidnapped to Seireiden.
- (吉田一美 Yoshida Kazumi) Voiced by: Ayako Kawasumi (Japanese), Chantal Strand (English)
- Kazumi is a fifteen-year-old girl and Yuji’s classmate. She has a crush on him, but is a bit too shy to tell him directly. In the first season, she spends most of her screen time remaining ignorant of Shana’s true nature and her actual relationship with Yuji. When Shana became her love-rival, she vowed to tell Yuji her feelings and to let him decide between her and Shana.
- These state of affairs, however, changed after her chance meeting with Khamsin Nbh’w, a Flame Haze, who requested her assistance in his tuning of the distortions in the city. After revealing the truth of the world to her, Khamsin provided Kazumi an eyeglass which can detect Torches after he realized Kazumi was worried if Yuji was a Torch. Kazumi decided to test the eyeglass on Yuji during the Misago Festival, and was horrified to discover that Yuji was indeed a Torch. However, as the battle with Bal Masque raged on, Yuji revealed that, with the Reiji Maigo, he would not disappear, and Kazumi eventually accepted that near the end of the season.
- Kazumi carries a small relic provided to her by Khamsin during their first meeting, permitting her to move within a Fuzetsu. Yuji became aware of this in the second season. Also, it is revealed that Pheles gave Kazumi a cross shaped hougu, which would summon Pheles if there was any trouble happening to Yuji/Johan. The setback was that it would take all of Kazumi’s power of existence, if she used it.
- In the sixteenth volume of the light novels, Kazumi is currently in a state of shock after being rejected by Yuji.
- (マージョリー・ドー Mājorī Dō) / “Chanter of Elegies” (「弔詞の詠み手」 “Chōshi no Yomite”) (Flame Haze)
- Voiced by: Hitomi Nabatame (Japanese), Janyse Jaud (English)
- Margery is a tall, “well-endowed” and mature blond Flame Haze with a drinking habit. She uses the book Grimoire, which is the divine vessel through which Marchosias, to whom she is bound, expresses his will. Her specialty seems to be Power of Unrestraint, and her main powers focus around chanting spells and turning into a werewolf. She casts spells by chanting an “Improvisational Poem of Slaughter” (屠殺の即興詩 Tosatsu no Sokkyōshi). Eita and Keisaku look up to her because she saved their lives once. Her reason for becoming a Flame Haze is to get revenge on a Denizen with a silver-colored flame (who is somehow linked to the Reiji Maigo within Yuji). Even before her installation as a Flame Haze, she lived only for vengeance. She was once a daughter of a landlord in medieval time, but after countless betrayals, her father was killed and she had ended up in a brothel. She gained a chance to avenge for her misery and humiliation on her enemies, only to see them be destroyed by the Silver. Her fury from being stolen of the last reason to live had attracted the attention of Marchosias. In the anime, Margery’s focus shifts from fighting simply to eradicate Crimson Denizens to fighting to protect the Balance. She notes her fighting skills are no less for the shift in focus. In the light novels, Margery would not only face the Silver in an unsuccessful battle, but would later realize that the Silver had been acting on her wish for revenge in her life of misery prior to becoming a Flame Haze before she nearly got killed by Sairei no Hebi Sakai Yuji.
- (ヴィルヘルミナ・カルメル Viruherumina Karumeru) / “Manipulator of Ten Thousand Ribbons” (「万条の仕手」 “Banjō no Shite”) (Flame Haze)
- Voiced by: Shizuka Ito (Japanese), Anna Cummer (English)
- Wilhelmina (spelled Wirhelmina in the Anime translation by Geneon) is a young lady that wears a maid’s uniform all the time. She is bound to Tiamat, whose will resides in the divine vessel Persona, which shifts forms between a headband, and a mask when in battle. During the great war, Persona’s shape was a tiara. Her title’s meaning is like the term for a player (in chess) who can predict moves far ahead.
- She is one of the great Flame Haze from the age of the great war, fighting alongside her friend, Mathilde Saint-Omer (the previous “Flame-Haired Burning-Eyed Hunter”). Together, they are like the counterpart of the “Pair of Wings” combination between the Crimson Denizens Merihim and Illuyankas. Her ability is the power to control an infinite number of ribbons which appear from around her. Wilhelmina, who always speaks in an overly formal and polite manner, has nearly no expression. She’s very skillful in many things, like singing and house chores, and is the one who took care of Shana during the girl’s training at Tendōkyū. Cooking, however, is one of her weaknesses; this was made even more evident in the second season, after her attempts at cooking crashed Chigusa’s kitchen.
- Wilhelmina dislikes Yuji as an overprotective mother might dislike her daughter’s boyfriend, and constantly refers to him as “the Mystes”, though later on, she occasionally refers to him by his proper name. This is possibly due to Wilhelmina’s own desire to gain Shana’s affections. She has, in the anime, advocated killing him so as to keep the Reiji Maigo out of the hands of the Bal Masqué and had to be stopped from performing the deed herself twice by Shana. In the anime’s second season, Wilhelmina has begun to, more or less, accept Yuji’s presence, if not his influence on Shana, and, on Shana’s request, becomes Yuji’s training partner when Shana is otherwise not available.
In the light novels, Yuji retaliates and nearly kills Wilhelmina with the Blutsauger in a wild rage, for she tried to make Shana give up on Yuji by force. At this moment, Tiamat called her partner “Princess!” implying that Wilhelmina was born to a Royal family. Wilhelmina always uses de arimasu,The uncontracted form of desu normally seen only in writing, to end her sentences.
FYI,This Anime That Has good soundtrack:
- Mami Kawada – Hishoku No Sora
- Kotoko – Being
- Youko Ishida – Aka No Seijaku
Nice anime,worth to Watch it!!!and it has good soundtrack