K-ON!April 8, 2009 at 8:54 AM | Posted in Anime, Comedy | 1 Comment
K-On! (けいおん! Keion!) is a Japanese four-panel comic strip manga written and illustrated by Kakifly. The manga started serialization in Houbunsha’s seinen manga magazine Manga Time Kirara since the May 2007 issue, and also started a bimonthly serialization in Houbunsha’s magazine Manga Time Kirara Carat since the October 2008 issue. An anime adaptation produced by Kyoto Animation began airing in Japan on April 3, 2009. The title of the series comes from the Japanese word for light music, keiongaku (軽音楽 ).
An anime adaptation directed by Naoko Yamada and produced by Kyoto Animation began airing on April 3, 2009 on TBS and BS-i in Japan.
K-On!’s story revolves around four Japanese high school girls who join their school’s light music club to try to save it from being abolished. However, they are the only members of the club, and none of them have any experience playing musical instruments or reading sheet music.
- (平沢 唯 Hirasawa Yui)
- Voiced by: Aki Toyosaki
- Yui is the main character of K-On!. She is one of the members of the light music club, and plays a Honey Burst Gibson Les Paul Standard electric guitar. She does not get good grades in school. Her surname is taken from P-Model guitarist Susumu Hirasawa.
- (秋山 澪 Akiyama Mio)
- Voiced by: Yōko Hikasa
- Mio is a shy girl in the light music club who plays a left-handed, 3-Color Sunburst Fender Precision Bass with an attached pickguard made out of tortoiseshell. She originally intended to join the literary club, but was forced into the light music club by her childhood friend Ritsu. She gets excellent grades in school, and is bad with listening to stories involving painful experiences. Her surname is taken from former P-Model bassist and keyboardist Katsuhiko Akiyama.
- (田井中 律 Tainaka Ritsu)
- Voiced by: Satomi Satō
- Ritsu is the president of the light music club. She has an ambiguous personality, and often has trouble with forgetting about important club activities and announcements. She says she chose to play the drums because they are “cool”, but she has trouble playing instruments which involve intricate finger movements. Her surname is taken from former P-Model drummer Sadatoshi Tainaka.
- (琴吹紬 Kotobuki Tsumugi)
- Voiced by: Minako Kotobuki
- Tsumugi is a girl with a gentle personality who plays the keyboard in the light music club. She has played piano since she was four-years-old, and has experience in winning piano contests. She is the daughter of a company president, and her family has several villas in various places around Japan. When Yui goes to buy her guitar, Tsumugi is successfully able to drive down the price. She often brings confectionery to the club room, along with a tea set which is kept in the room. She originally intended to join the chorus club, but joined the light music club after receiving an invitation and encouragement from Mio and Ritsu. Her surname is taken from former P-Model keyboardist Hikaru Kotobuki.