Maria+HolicMay 1, 2009 at 6:28 AM | Posted in Anime, Comedy | Leave a comment
Maria†Holic (まりあ†ほりっく Maria†Horikku) is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Minari Endō. The manga was first serialized in the Japanese seinen manga magazine Monthly Comic Alive on June 27, 2006, and is published by Media Factory. The manga was licensed by Tokyopop and will be distributed in English. An anime adaptation animated by Shaft began airing in Japan on January 2009.
An anime adaption directed by Akiyuki Shinbo and produced by Shaft started airing in Japan on January 5, 2009 on Chiba TV. The first episode of the anime was aired as a special broadcast on Animate TV starting December 26, 2008 to January 4, 2009 and on AT-X on December 30, 2008.
Maria Holic revolves around a high school girl, Kanako Miyamae, who is scared of boys and breaks out in hives if a boy touches her. During her second year of high school, she enrolls in an all-girls school hoping to find a female romantic partner. However, her ideal candidate, Mariya Shidō, turns out to be a sadistic crossdressing boy.
Character List :
Kanako Miyamae (宮前 かなこ Miyamae Kanako)
- Voiced by: Asami Sanada
- Kanako is the protagonist of the story. She is a second year high school transfer student to Ame no Kisaki. When a boy touches her, she breaks out in hives, giving her a fear of boys. Kanako is very interested in girls. Her reason for transferring to Ame no Kisaki in the first place is to look for her one, true love. One of her hang ups with men is that when she was in elementary school, a piece of her recorder, and her P.E uniform were stolen. Kanako is also quite tall (standing at 173 cm), and was constantly teased about it throughout her life.
Mariya Shidō (祇堂 鞠也 Shidō Mariya)
- Voiced by: Yu Kobayashi
- Mariya is a boy who crossdresses, attending Ame no Kisaki as a girl to win the chairmanship of both the all-male and all-female schools, where his late grandmother is the ex-chairman for both. When Kanako first met him, she liked him because of his lovely, kind attitude. However, he is actually quite sadistic. He deeply respects and loves his grandmother, and does not care much about the chairmanship at all, and only wishes to honor his grandmother’s request. He appears to generally care about others, but hides it under some excuse, and then gets angry.
Matsurika Shinōji (汐王寺 茉莉花 Shinōji Matsurika)
- Voiced by: Marina Inoue
- Matsurika is Mariya’s maid who is generally silent, but can be rude, delivering the vast majority of her lines with no facial expression. She calls Kanako names such as “Ms. Pig” or Eiffel Tower (Tokyo Tower in Japanese versions) due to her tall stature, and generally insults Mariya just as much as she does Kanako. She frequently argues with Mariya, and also attends the same class as him.
Nanami Kiri (桐 奈々美 Kiri Nanami)
- Voiced by: Akemi Kanda
- Kiri is an aloof and bespectacled student at Ame no Kisaki. Although she seems quite cold and dispassionate on the surface, in reality she has a very caring and helpful personality. At the bequest of the teacher, she helps Kanako to overcome her initial troubles at the school, to the extent that she is willing to put her own reputation at stake by pretending to be Kanako’s lover; so as to avoid trouble from Ryūken’s fans. She eventually becomes very close friends with Sachi.
- Ryūken Ishima (石馬 隆顕 Ishima Ryūken)
- Voiced by: Yuko Kaida
- Ryūken is the star of Ame no Kisaki, due to her tall stature, good looks, kindness, and generally tomboyish nature. She has a great number of fans and her own fan club. She was supposed to be Kanako’s roommate at the dormitories only to be run out by Mariya later so that Mariya could keep a close eye on Kanako. Ryūken’s fans cause mischief for Kanako because they are jealous of her friendship with Ryūken.